Thursday, November 5, 2009

Let's Move On

I would like to reiterate how happy and proud I am of everyone in Plainfield who supported me. I mentioned yesterday how pleased I was to have received a call yesterday from Marty Marks to congratulate me and to discuss how we can work together to help move this state in the right direction. To my surprise I also received a lot of phone calls from Republicans congratulating me and looking forward to working with me for the next two years. And again, while it was unfortunate that Corzine was not able to pull through with a victory, I am looking forward to working with Governor-elect Chris Christie (I made this statement publicly today in the Courier News).

I believe the strategy of the Republican Party was to make the suburban communities feel that I care only about Plainfield. Unfortunately, my opponents were successful, as some suburban towns were not only angry with me but Corzine and the entire Democratic Party. However, I did not take this personally; I am a team player and have to accept the message that was sent through their actions. These communities were not happy with the Democrats over the last four years and this victory is an opportunity to change that.

I’m happy to know that all of the Republicans who called me yesterday to congratulate me understand that NJ politics is business, not personal. The election is over and now we have to begin to do the job that the people elected us to do. It is time to get back to dealing with the budget, education, jobs, and quality of life issues that are facing NJ. Unfortunately there are still a few people who do not understand that when the race is over, it’s over. I was surprised when I read Bo’s comment on his blog (in the comment section) today that inquired about my brother’s place of employment. My brother, who is not employed by the county of Union and is not in the best of health, should have never been mentioned. As a result I have taken this very personal. However, because I would like to see this nonsense come to an end, as the campaign is over and it’s time to move on, I am asking Bo nicely, publicly, and one time only: If you have nothing nice to say about me and my family then please say nothing at all. I will not accept nor tolerate anyone going after my family. I do not put anything before my family, including politics, so if you want to go after my family, who had nothing to do with this election, then let me make it very clear that this is a war you will not win. I will not allow you or anyone else to embarrass my family. So once again I’m asking that we put a stop to this. I do not know anything about your family and you do not know anything about mine.

No comments: