Friday, January 21, 2011

Doc's Potpourri from Jan 19....

Doc, I have always found you to be honest and fair, every once in awhile you crossed the line but it was always done in good taste. If I recall, in one of your past blogs you mentioned that you would never allow anyone to place comments on your blog that were distasteful.

First of all, I have no desire to get into any dialogue with Councilwoman Rebecca Williams. Too many people have already seen how she operates as a councilperson. It is only a matter of time before she self-destructs - she does not need my help to do so. The people in the 2nd and 3rd ward have made a huge mistake in not re-electing Rashid Burney. He is a man of class, who knew how to talk to people and how to keep his word and that is why I supported him. However, as Chairman of the party my job is to support ALL Democrats on the Democratic slate. That is why I supported Rebecca Williams. Because as Chairman I am committed to support ALL Democrats and then it is up to the public to decide who they vote for. So now the public will have an opportunity to see the real Rebecca. She was the person behind the scenes that ran the New Democrats' campaign and now she has her chance to show the Public the type of an elected official she is going to be - IF she survives the next four years.

I am encouraging the citizens of Plainfield to listen very carefully to what she has to say, watch her mannerisms and to watch her facial expressions and reactions when she dislikes something that she does not support.

On a second note, Doc I am surprised that you allowed an individual to use your blog to make a comment that I felt crossed the line in terms of racial remarks. As you are aware over 60% of my district is white and for you to allow someone to post the following ...”Doc quite simply... the problem is we have an electorate that has the mentality and mindset of a bunch of toothless rednecks from the backwater of Appalachia..." I find this to be one of the most disgusting racial remarks that can be said. I feel that this is a personal attack towards my white support in the 22nd District and it is not acceptable. Maybe racial remarks of any type were viewed as ok in the south in the 1950’s but in this day and age there is no rationalization or justification in these types of remarks. Personally I find them unacceptable. So understand that I will defend a white voter as quickly as a black voter because I feel that there is no place in today's society for individuals that help generate divisiveness through racial hate.

Currently, I am researching the issue of bloggers allowing their blogs to be used as a platform for these types of remarks, implying that people are criminals and stating other remarks that are defamatory to someone's reputation. The blogger should be held legally responsible for the messages relayed through his/her blog and frankly the blogger should face the retaliatory action of a court of law...

1 comment:

olddoc said...

Jerry, I am sorry that you found the reference to "toothless rednecks from Appalachia" to be raciest. Over many years ago in Virginia and even in the army the type remark quoted was one I heard more than once from some of the uneducated and very racial bigoted whites who lived in the mountains. These are people that are suspected of killing a census taker in 2000. It was no reflection on any of your white constituents.

On the other hand we both know, that a successful career as a politician is dependent on retaining dedicated voters who most often do not consider issues, only party.

It was an educated electorate that voted in the last Presidential election otherwise the results could have been different. Those that think must guard as much against the Pallins in this world as the Farrakhans who preach hate.