Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Post Campaign Thoughts

Let me first begin by congratulating all of the victors in yesterday’s election. Reading the blogs today, one would think that the election that occurred yesterday did not happen here in the City of Plainfield. No candidate can take credit, other than the fact that they were able to win. The turnout was low and the bottom line is that people were not happy with any of the candidates.

Fortunate enough, I must give credit to Ms. Williams. She was able to get her base out to vote. That base however, is shrinking every year. Five years ago, Al McWilliams received roughly 700 votes, winning the ward by 500 votes. Two years ago, Annie McWilliams won the ward by 500 votes. This year, Rebecca only won the ward by roughly 150 votes. In the third ward, Rebecca won by 50 votes.

Therefore, if anyone feels or cannot do the math, then they do not understand politics. This is true because this was a wake up call that the public in general is not satisfied with our school board, nor are they satisfied with local government. Blaming me and accusing me of being the political boss, which to me is very embarrassing because my definition of ‘boss’ dates back to slavery times, but because I know the caliber of people I am dealing with, I mark them up as a group of ignorant people I have to deal with.

Just seven months ago, I was able to win the second and third wards in my election. Therefore, if anything, I think that my support base is stronger now than it has ever been. In this campaign, whatever I put out there was the truth. Unfortunately, some people would like to put a spin on it, but my record speaks for itself.

It is a shame that people would like to put a negative spin on the issues I have supported, especially that of my support of the gay community. If I would have said or done something wrong, the public backlash would have been more severe on a local, county and state level. I have a member of my family that is gay, and I have publicly acknowledged the love and respect that I have for him, which merits the same plane of love and affection I give to all of my family members.

It is despicable that a handful of bloggers would try to poison my words. Even this morning when I went out to get my newspaper, my family and I were met with disrespect and our privacy was violated, and as a taxpayer in Plainfield, my property was disrespected. My lawn was littered from end to end with Rebecca Williams’s lawn signs. This was an all-time low for me politically here in Plainfield. I have notified the police department and the press so that they can see this total disrespect of my family’s privacy.

To read in the blog today where Dan wrote that this was a joke, I did not find this amusing at all. The campaign is over. There is no place for this type of childishness, classlessness and disrespect shown by the perpetrators. This is why the New Democrats are losing supporters daily. They call my office telling me they were misled and misguided in the past, but have had their eyes opened to their personal agendas.

Like I said earlier, I received about 5,500 votes in this past November election while Rebecca received 800 votes. You do the math, who should be concerned about their base of support?

If Don Davis were not in the race, this race would have been a lot closer. In fact, Rashid most likely would have won. Many of my supporters would not support him because he is a New Democrat and they felt he was not committed. They said other than his commitment to the Obama effort; they felt his support for the Democratic Party was very soft.

Taking this all into consideration, along with the fact that the Regular Democratic Party were not impressed with any of those running in the primary, there was a low turnout, just ask our neighbors in 3-10 and 2-11. I respect the fact that Rebecca Williams has won the Democratic primary, and I have to accept the fact that many of my supporters could not bring themselves to support a candidate that they felt has not been supportive of them in the past.

No comments: