Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What Bo Still Don't Know

I was surprised today when reading the most recent blog posting of one of my opponents, Bo Vastine. I’m not surprised by the negative tone. We all know how Republicans behave. From George Bush to Chris Christie to Joe Wilson shouting at our President, Republicans would rather divide and attack than offer solutions to our problems. I’m not surprised that Mr. Vastine is following Chris Christie’s orders to tear down Democrats throughout the 22nd district. No, I’m surprised that he has so little respect for the people of the 22nd District and the people in Plainfield.

Your personal attacks on Democratic elected officials in this district cannot hide that you have no experience and no ideas. You have not talked about your accomplishments since you arrived here from Texas. What you have done is attempt to divide the community with your negativity. You don’t want the voters to know that you make your money from Wall Street, which has destroyed so many lives in this country. You don’t want the voters to know that you recently went before the Rahway City Council and publicly acknowledged that you know nothing about government. You don’t want the voters to know that you live in Scotch Plains but have no answer for how to deal with the issue of sewage, one of its largest problems. You’d rather spend your time in Plainfield trying to be critical of its Mayor and City Council.

I am proud that I helped the Hispanic community in putting together a function that lasted two days attended by over 6,000 people. When I was asked to get up and speak, I talked about the dollars that I have brought into Plainfield. I spoke about our Latino children who are receiving some of the highest test scores in the state. The majority of the parents in attendance recognized that, and from the warm reception I received, it’s obvious that they appreciate how hard I have worked for our children. Throughout my term, I have worked with the Hispanic community to deal with the special issues faced by day workers, and to ensure that ALL the people of my district have access to housing and job opportunities.

In your blog you mention the removal of the former Chief of Police. Your accusations regarding that issue are not only ignorant, but divisive and offensive. The Chief’s removal was the decision of the Mayor and the City Council, and not mine to make. To suggest that no one could be a friend to the Hispanic community unless they supported anyone of Latino descent, no matter how they performed their job, is distasteful. I judge every person by their own merits, and the fact you do not, and that you fled from Plainfield to Scotch Plains, speaks more to how you feel about the diversity in this City than I ever could.

Its time for you to tell the public what you have done, or will do, about the issues that they face. It is time for you to explain why they should vote for you. When they realize that you’re against a fair educational system for all children, that you’re against women’s rights, and that you’re against opportunities for middle income Americans not as fortunate as you, they will have no reason to support you. I have heard the voters of this district when they voted for our President. They want to hear about issues, not more personal attacks. From here on out, let’s talk about the issues. The voters are tired of hearing about “what’s in it for me”. They want to hear about you, and what you can do for them.

No comments: