Monday, September 21, 2009

Central American Independence Fiesta in Plainfield

I’d like to congratulate everyone who attended the Central American Independence Fiesta the past two days in Plainfield. It was one of the proudest moments of my political career to see Hispanic people from all over the western part of my district come together in support of each other. It was one of the most successful events put on by the Hispanic community here in the City of Plainfield. It also gave me great pleasure to have been able to work with the organizers over the last six months to make this a huge success.

Unfortunately, in reading the blogs today, rather than give me credit for working with the Hispanic community in making this event a success and building a partnership in moving forward with the Hispanic community, Vastine’s blog accused me of not showing up. Well, contrary to popular belief, I not only attended the event but I was able to speak to the audience and was well received. Moreover, the people who put on the event told the audience what a great friend of the Hispanic community I have been in helping them with educational issues, housing issues and issues in general that affect their community. To hear the crowd respond in such a positive way showed that all the efforts put into the event were well worth it. So this is why I say that Marty and Bo don’t have a clue about Plainfield or the Plainfield community because we had a table set up to do voter registration and a table soliciting volunteers.

I also had an opportunity to talk with Chris Estevez and we both agreed its time to put our personal differences aside and build off of what was accomplished over the past two days in terms of bringing all people together here in the city to make the city a stronger place.

Sorry to say, I was hoping the Governor could have stopped by to show his appreciation, since he was in Plainfield, however he had a prior commitment to a group of supporters in the 2nd ward.

No comments: