Tuesday, May 26, 2009

8 Days Until the Primary / Questions Still Unanswered / Ps

I hope everyone had a pleasant Memorial Day weekend. This election is one that I can look back on and smile in terms of moving forward in the right direction, not only on the State level in my District, but also locally.

I believe my record speaks for itself; I have and will continue to work diligently on the key issues within my Legislative District. Let us look at education in Plainfield for example. Our schools are now some of the best equipped to educate our children. We receive over $100 million in grant money on a yearly basis. When no one was able to streamline this funding into Plainfield, I was there to do so. Our youth are now getting an opportunity to get an education in nursing, and I was there when Plainfield’s nursing school needed support. I am not only going to continue to lobby for Plainfield to regain control of the Muhlenberg campus, but also for it to someday reopen as a full-service hospital.

When others turned their back on developing an office building in the downtown area of Plainfield, I was there to ensure it happened. When residents complained about our train stations, again, I was there when needed.

Last year, when I made an investment in the Obama campaign, time and money wise, it paid huge dividends not only for the State and my District, but also for the City of Plainfield. It gave me an opportunity to reconnect with the citizens here in Plainfield. I have built a base of support in Central New Jersey from that campaign. In the past, we have had to pay people to work local and state campaigns. This year however, we have people knocking on doors and making phone calls pro bono because they believe in what I am doing.

Unfortunately, when I ask questions, the Cory Storch Team labels them as attacks on individuals. These sorts of labeling games are an old Republican strategy that I hoped would die when Bush left the White House. Asking about a School Board member’s wife receiving a $40,000 raise in one year, which sends up a red flag to Republicans suggesting that the State should stop funding Abbott Districts i.e. wasteful spending, is a legitimate question.

My question to Cory Storch, is it worth the City losing $100 million a year because you want to cover up this type of wasteful spending? I still ask the question of what did Dan Damon do to be paid $65,000 a year from the City as an employee. Why, as a council member Mr. Storch, do you sit back and allow the State to take back $500,000 from the City under your watch? It is sad when I spend a lot of time walking through the 2nd ward, and your constituents complain about your only showing up around election time, while doing nothing for those in the 2nd ward.

I cannot believe you have the nerve to mention that my efforts are solely for Jerry Green, when your main reason for being on the Council is to benefit your family’s real estate business. So again, I have no problem debating you anywhere in the City of Plainfield, putting your record up against mine, especially in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th wards, where residents do not even know who you are.

Ps

Next Tuesday, June 2nd, there will be 3 candidates running in the 22nd District for 2 Assembly seats. I am asking my supporters to support not only myself, but also my running mate Linda Stender. As a candidate, I do not take any election for granted. This is why I have been campaigning from one side of my District to the other. I have been getting a lot of positive feedback.

As Speaker Pro Tempore of the New Jersey General Assembly, the progress I have made as Chairman of Housing and Local Government, as well as my leadership role in the State, has been recognized. Therefore, I am confident that Linda and I will be victorious on June 2nd.

The other candidate, Rick Smiley, I consider a fine person; however, Linda and I have worked hard for the 22nd Legislative District, and deserve to be reelected. Therefore, when asked outside of Plainfield, “Isn’t it nice to have another person from Plainfield on the ballot with you,” my response is that Linda has done a good job in representing the 22nd District and deserves to be reelected.

In the past, the New Democrats have been in support of Linda, and I hope that they will continue to support her. The handful of ‘haters’ who have been blowing baseless smoke will not make a difference in this election. Plainfield and the 22nd District are too smart for them and their games.

No comments: