Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Real Politics

After reading Cory Storch’s blog this morning, I would like to set the record straight in terms of the function of being Chairman of the Democratic Party here in the City of Plainfield.

What Mr. Storch has failed to tell the community is that I have spent the majority of these years trying to bring the community together, wherein my contributions speak clearly for themselves. When I became Chairman, the support system of the Democratic Party was less than 50% in the 34 districts of Plainfield. Now today, we have support in over 30 of those districts. There is no real power in any level of government in Plainfield. The people, not the party, elected every Mayor who served their term. The people, not the party, elected every councilperson who served their term.

I would like to feel that my success as an elected official has been from the hard work I put in as a Freeholder and as a State Assemblyman. From day one, I have been involved in politics to give back to the community, as well as make a difference. I make myself visible in the community, return phone calls, and create and coordinate solution-based efforts.

I would like to put my record up against Mr. Storch’s and any of the New Democrats in terms of what I have accomplished for the City versus their record and their contributions. In order to bring the City together when I was re-elected as Chairman of the party, I have given my support to the Mayor, as well as Rashid Burney, Cory Storch, Linda Carter, Rayland Van Blake, and Don Davis; the latter being New Democrats. With that said, I feel that Cory Storch is very misleading to the public when he tries to paint the picture that I try to control him and those mentioned above.

When Cory Storch says that he walks the streets knocking on doors in his district, he is doing this ONLY when he is campaigning for re-election.

I find it very intriguing that Cory Storch is speaking out in this capacity when in reality; he has done nothing as a representative of the 2nd Ward. Cory Storch is the complete opposite of Rashid Burney, a man who has stepped up as a leader within the 2nd Ward.

This last election, Cory Storch would have lost if it were not for my financial backing as well as my support. Cory is very much like some of the other elected officials of the past who got into politics for personal gain, and let me be specific when I say personal gain. Often city workers have complained about the pressure they receive from families like Cory Storch when it comes down to real estate transactions within the City. People have openly complained about this example of bullying and favoritism. Thus, as one can see, some elected officials use their power for personal benefit, while real politicians use their influence for community betterment.

Ps:
It was very rewarding to read the Courier News Editorial finally being critical of the way Solaris and the Muhlenberg Board, mainly comprised of New Democrats, have treated the City of Plainfield and the surrounding medical community. There are some people in town that would love to lay blame upon me in this matter. Nevertheless, the daily phone calls of support in this matter far out-weight Dan Damon’s tactics of blaming me for Muhlenburg’s closing (which in fact the New Democrat/Muhlenberg Board sent a letter to Trenton, on behalf of Solaris, asking the State to support Solaris in closing the Muhlenberg campus).

Moreover, we can examine my 20-year tenure as Chairman of the Party. In eight of those years, there was a Republican governor in the State House. Within the 20 years, Republicans (both Bush’s and Regan) served as President. Ergo you do the math: when we have had people in governing positions of power who have put this country in the economic crisis that we are in today, and you try to lump me in with them, it just simply does not add up.

No comments: