Saturday, August 2, 2014

Green Statement on Bail Reform Legislation

 (PLAINFIELD) – Speaker Pro Tempore Jerry Green (D-Middlesex/Somerset/Union) issued the following statement on Monday expressing his support for the bail reform package:

            “While the bail reform legislation does not go far enough for me, I am supporting these bills with the understanding that there are important pieces missing that will still have to be addressed.
            “I have made it clear to Speaker Prieto that expungement of criminal records for minor offenses is just as important. A criminal record prevents many people from finding work. When an employer sees that an applicant has a record, their application goes to the garbage. How are these folks supposed to get back on their feet and on the right track if they are unable to support themselves?
            “I also hope that language is added to make the judicial process more equitable in general so that people with lesser resources don’t get the short end of the stick.
            “I’ve been assured by the Speaker that my concerns will be taken into consideration, and I hope for all those individuals who would be impacted by this, that we come to a positive conclusion.”