Monday, November 19, 2012

FEMA SETS UP OFFICE IN THE 22ND DISTRICT, IN THE CITY OF PLAINFIELD



“I am happy to officially announce today that FEMA has opened an office here in the City of Plainfield. They opened up at 2:00 PM this past Saturday the 17th at the new Plainfield Senior Citizens Building at 400 East Front St.  I want to take this time to thank everyone who participated in making this happen.

Last Wednesday I was able to participate in a legislative and freeholder town hall meeting to talk about the storm and its effects on Union County as well as Central Jersey. As people came up to share their personal experiences in dealing with this crisis, it gave me the opportunity as a legislator to look into the future in hoping that as much as we were prepared this time, we can be better prepared for such crisis in the future.

When I asked FEMA about the possibility that an office be located in the 22nd District to service Central New Jersey no one was able to give me an answer. The very next morning I was on the phone with the County of Union, and State of New Jersey as well as Congressman Rush Holt. I felt it was important that his and my district, which makes up a large proportion of Central Jersey, receives the services they are entitled to.

It was important that we have an office in Central Jersey so that people don’t have to travel to other parts of state to receive the help and services that they need. With everyone’s support, Friday I was notified that FEMA was going to be setting up an office in Plainfield. Congressman Rush Holt has been in discussion with FEMA about using a van to go to other municipalities in Central Jersey to offer the same services. This is currently in discussion and no one has yet to make a final decision.

We are trying to do the best we can to make sure every municipality in Central Jersey receives the support that they need without having to do a lot of traveling. Therefore, I want to take this time to thank everyone who participated in this process and making this a reality. I would like to especially thank the City of Plainfield who has opened up their doors to be a host community.  

I look forward to working with FEMA as well as any other agency that is prepared to help the families of New Jersey put their lives back together. My staff is available so that if anyone has any questions or need any help don’t hesitate to call my office at 908.561.5757.

Again, I want to thank everyone because I feel that our elected officials as well as the people who work in government at all levels have stepped up to help people in a time of need. No one is to blame anyone for lack of effort. As a person who has worked around the clock dealing with this issue, I think everyone has stepped up to the plate and done everything humanly possible to help people put their lives back in order.”


Assemblyman Jerry Green
22nd District
908.561.5757

No comments: