Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Letter From Senator Frank Lautenberg

Dear Jerry,

It's been a while since I've emailed you, and I wanted to update you in the wake of the debt ceiling battle in Washington.  Your support makes it possible for me to continue to fight in the Senate on behalf of working families and against this new wave of Tea Party extremists in Congress.

In my years in the Senate, I've never seen anything like the Republicans' recent hijacking of our country over the debt ceiling.

The Republicans held our nation's economic future hostage to their demands, and their antics are simply unforgivable.

The GOP played a very dangerous game - and American families now have to pay a costly ransom.

Rather than work with us to protect critical programs like Head Start, Medicare and Social Security, the Republicans were only interested in standing up for big corporations, millionaires, and billionaires - all at the expense of everyday families in America who are struggling right now in a tough economy.

It's simply unforgivable.

I worked hard for a reasonable solution that would prevent a catastrophic economic default.  But the "deal" Congress passed is unfair to the middle class and low income Americans, has no shared sacrifice from the wealthy and puts Medicare and Social Security at risk.  I simply could not agree to support that.

Your long-time support is deeply appreciated as I continue to fight for progressive values in the U.S. Senate.  Please don't hesitate to contact me at contact@lautenbergfornj.com with any thoughts, comments, or ideas and I also encourage you to visit my website http://www.lautenbergfornj.com/.

Frank R. Lautenberg

No comments: