Tuesday, March 29, 2011

On the subject of Muhlenberg

Doc as usual sometime we agree and sometime we don’t. I am hoping that after you read this blog you will realize what I have done for the last 10 years for Muhlenberg. I have a lot of respect for you, I see you at meetings and you show real concern for the future of Plainfield. Within the blogger community I am very careful about what I say about individual bloggers – my experience with you is that if you write something that is incorrect you are open enough to allow me an opportunity to correct it. There are too many comments made by bloggers that are slanted or totally incorrect. I am learning that many of these individuals take the issues that they are “concerned” with to an all time low. I find it embarrassing that comments left by “ROB” continue to appear in print. This person continues writing negative comments with no intention of providing any intelligent comments that may lead to improvement for the city.

The topic in one of your recent blogs was the closing of Muhlenberg and what I did or did not do. At what point can we revisit the facts? For the last 10 years with Linda Stender’s support over $10 million dollars was raised to keep the doors of the hospital open. Working with the Synder Family, I raised over $4 million through Trenton to help build the Muhlenberg School of Nursing. This school graduated on average 500 nurses per year.

Therefore to read your blog and find that I am blamed in any manner for the closing of Muhlenberg shows factual ignorance. Interestingly your blog contained a discussion on the lack of leadership yet no mention of the fact that the members of Muhlenberg’s Board of Directors were privy to the information of the closing of this hospital more so than I. Perhaps you should discuss this fact with your neighbors that sat on this board.

Contrary to your statement, I did not sit back until the bitter end. I personally sat down with the commissioner to ensure that the people of Plainfield and the surrounding communities would receive their share of benefits from the monies that Solaris received from the State.

As I read the comments and inference that I crossed the line during this time or that I have done something illegal I can only shake my head in amazement. I have always conducted myself in an above board manner, and as a professional. I pride myself in being a law abiding citizen and as an elected official I follow the rules. As a member of this community, I am learning to ignore these comments because a day of reckoning is coming. At that time I will do what I have to do legally to end this type of libel.

The fact is this: The Board of Directors was aware that the hospital was going to close long before I became aware.

Doc, I have not given up on the campus, I believe that the campus can be used as a facility that will benefit the city.

For the record I was not responsible for the closing of Muhlenberg. Rather than being negative I hope that I can get your support in putting some type of medical facility on the campus that will service all people including people like you and I.

P.s. Why do you and your fellow bloggers suffer from short memory syndrome? How quickly you forget about my role in the Abbot District. The city of Plainfield received $100 million to provide better education for the children, this included helping a first rate basketball team come within one game of being the best in the state of NJ. This was a team of well spoken, well groomed young men that brought positive press to our city. There is also Union County College, I lobbied to keep it open, I brought money in to improve the campus and now it is viewed as one of the best county colleges in the State.

There is no city without its share of problems. A few weeks ago there was a murder in Cranford, a police officer's life was lost in Piscataway, yet this community of bloggers continues to take isolated situations in Plainfield and paint a picture that makes it sound like the city is run by gangsters.

I am hoping that the readers of the blogs will realize that these individuals work to bring the same type of negativity that constantly hurts the city. If there is nothing positive to say about the city then it is time to move on.

Often it reads like you guys are so busy loitering in the gutter that you don’t focus on the good that is happening. I will continue to challenge the naysayers in the blogging community to bring forth their actions… what are you doing to make Plainfield better?

No comments: