Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Letter From Rev. Bruce Davidson

Dear Assemblyman Green,

For a long time I have been planning to retire at age 62. I celebrated that birthday this past March, and so earlier this Fall, I submitted a letter to our church's governing authorities asking for retirement "status" (yes, my church body considers retirement a "status"). In November my retirement request was officially approved, and, as I had asked, it is effective December 31, 2010.

I have served as a Pastor in the Lutheran Church for almost 37 years, with congregations in Wildwood, Teaneck and Summit, New Jersey. For the last 11 years, as Director of the Lutheran Office of Governmental Ministry in New Jersey, I have appreciated the chance to work with you around a variety of issues. You have been a wonderful champion of issues that have improved life for people in need across the state. It is hard for me to identify anyone else in State Government that I respect and admire more than you. You spoke so eloquently and directly about justice when issues of civil unions and marriage equality came up. You have never wavered in your commitment to work for fair housing practices for low income people. I have appreciated your hard work in fashioning the best possible piece of legislation that moves toward housing reform. Thank you for including me in this important work. Your record of achievement is truly admirable! I am deeply grateful for the outstanding leadership and commitment you have given in making New Jersey better and more just for everyone.

Although I will leave my position as Director of the Lutheran Office of Governmental Ministry at the end of the year, I will continue to serve with De Miller and Marlene Lao Collins as one of the co-convenors of the Anti-Poverty Network of New Jersey. I have also been invited to serve on a few volunteer Boards, although I am trying to keep that to a minimum.

A search process is currently underway for a person who will become the new Director for the Lutheran Office of Governmental Ministry. We hope that individual will begin early in March. In the meantime, we have arranged for very part-time coverage of the office by Ms.Cathy Malmstrom, a skilled advocate and member of our church's justice ministries. She can be reached at logm@njsynod.org

In case you want to be in touch after December 31, please contact me at my new e-mail: brucehdavidson@yahoo.com.

I am grateful for many things, including having the chance to retire and rest. Mostly though my gratitude is for the good people I have come to know over the past decade. Whenever I have a chance to speak to a group, I always mention that elected officials in New Jersey are people of integrity and good will, working hard to do what is right. You are one of the people whose public service I have come to appreciate very much. In my various new "volunteer" roles, I expect that I will still have many chances to work with you. I know we share many commitments to the people in society who struggle for just treatment and a decent life.

Sincerely,
Bruce The Rev. Bruce H. Davidson, DirectorLutheran Office of Governmental Ministry in New JerseyNew Jersey Synod - ELCA
1930 State Highway 33
Trenton, NJ 08690
609-937-9845
bdavidson@njsynod.org

No comments: