Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23rd Commentary

I have shared with the readers of my blog a letter I received from the NJLA and a sample of the cards that thousands of concerned citizens have sent to me regarding their opposition to the budget cuts that will affect the library community within the State of New Jersey.

I find it very surprising that neither a Democratic nor a Republican candidate running for the 2nd and 3rd ward Council seat in Plainfield have not come out in support of the library community statewide. Just as they have been quiet regarding the $8 million in funding Plainfield will lose when it comes to educating our children.

They would prefer spending time with issues that really do not help the . Library and educational issues should be important to both candidates. However, when I bring these issues to the public’s attention, the effect of the cuts to our library and educational system, I am accused of ‘mud-slinging’ and ‘being unethical.’

I will not stand by and have the people of Plainfield be misled by School Board members who stay quiet, refusing to stand up for the children of Plainfield, allowing these cuts to happen without trying to do something about it.

As we can all see nothing has changed over at the BOE; it is ‘business as usual.’ They are more concerned about their personal agendas rather than that of the children. You the public, read the new papers daily, when have you heard of BOE members of Plainfield speaking out against the cuts of our public library and educational funding? The public library is a resource our kids use because they do not have those resources in their homes.

I take my hat off to Council members Linda Carter, Bridget Rivers, Rashid Burney and Bill Reid, who have on a consistent basis been supportive of me in dealing with these crucial issues that are threatening the future of Plainfield.

It is time that the public wake up and realize they should make the BOE members accountable. Again, are they more focused on their own personal agendas, or on drafting educational policy that will strengthen our children?

I attended a CAG meeting, and it shocked me to see no Council members present. I have been in communication with the Governor’s office as well as the Commissioner of Health regarding the ambulance issue, and the lack of participation of the Council members is disheartening.

This past Saturday I attended a rally concerning the violence in the City, and I also attended a community conference the Mayor had regarding crime prevention. Again, Council and its leadership were nowhere to be found.

Maybe it is time we start talking about recall. Unfortunately, when a small amount of people comes out to vote, whether it is a school board election or a council race, this is the result you get. These small numbers usually reflect a special interest, electing those who could care less about good government, but look to support their friends’ agendas versus the agenda of Plainfield.

No comments: