Friday, May 7, 2010

Protect Our Public Libraries

Yesterday I had the opportunity to host a hearing to discuss avenues of solution regarding the governance, operation and participation of residents within homeowner’s associations, a hearing that was the bi-product of testimony heard during our February bi-partisan state hearing.
The hearing was very successful wherein both the association management as well as residents voiced their concerns and opinions regarding their establishments.

Before the meeting however, as I was walking through the State House Annex, I heard a large crowd outside assembling and protesting. Since they piqued my interest I decided to walk outside to see library associations, librarians, those who frequent libraries, and those sympathetic to the cause, outside protesting Governor Christie’s proposed budget cuts to public libraries as well as Assembly Bill 2555.

This is an issue that is dear to me because for one, Plainfield Public Library is an apple of the community’s eye. When I walked outside and witnessed the protesters rallying against Christie’s proposed cuts to public libraries as well as Assembly Bill 2555, I made sure to get some fact sheets and wanted to share them with my Legislative District.

Below are some facts presented by the New Jersey Library Association:

Updated: Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Budget Reductions to Library Programs Announced by Governor Chris Christie
State Funding For Library Programs FY07-FY11For more information on the FY State Budget and its impact on libraries.
In his budget address on March 16, 2010 Governor Christie announced a 74% cut in library funding from FY10 to FY11

This cut:
ELIMINATES Internet access and electronic journals in hundreds of libraries
ELIMINATES the delivery of materials from other libraries to you - more than 3 million items were delivered in 2009
ELIMINATES 50% of State Aid to public librariesLoss of these programs will put more pressure on local property taxes. The $10.4 million in library programs cut from the Governor's budget represents little more than $1 per person in state funds.

Although I was privy to these proposed cuts, the rally yesterday showed me the drastic effects these cuts will have on the library community within the entire state of New Jersey.

I have met with Mayor Robinson-Briggs to discuss some of these concerns locally, as to the impact these cuts will have on the Plainfield Public Library, and we are going to follow up with a meeting that I have suggested with the City Library Board to discuss what the City of Plainfield can do to help the library.

In visiting the library within the last 30 days, one issue I felt we could deal with right away was the appearance around the library. The mayor agreed and then scheduled for the Public Works Department to clean up the area, which to my understanding, has been done this week.

If anyone has any ideas or information that I can use when I sit down with the members of local and Statewide library communities, please reach out for Jeffrey Williams in my District Office, (908) 561-5757.

No comments: