Friday, April 30, 2010

Governing for Bloggers 101: Asking for Clarity Isn't Asking for Take-over

I was happy today to see while reading Doc’s blog that residents are all in favor of something being done to resolve this issue with the Board of Education.

Doc has asked me to explain my communication with the Commissioner of Education’s office as well as the County Superintendent’s office. That communication has been over the phone and constant for the past six months. The conversation also included former Commissioner of Education Lucille Davie. In fact, this week City Council President Annie McWilliams has asked me to set up a meeting with the State and County to discuss the legal ramifications as to the Council’s ability to review the budget.

I would like Doc to feel free to reach out to the President of the Plainfield Teacher’s Association so that she can explain to him that I have spoken to the State and County on behalf of the City of Plainfield. Because these are personnel issues, I have refrained from mentioning names or even commenting in fear of impeding lawsuits.

The Commissioner’s office as well as the County Superintendent’s office has agreed to participate in a conference along with myself, the Mayor, Council President and Council to discuss the budget issue.

I have made sure to take the necessary steps to make sure that I neither did nor said anything to violate anyone’s rights. The conversation I had with the Commissioner was one that led both of us to agree that until this issue is resolved, there is not room for personal comments to be shared in public; a stance that I will respect. The Commissioner’s office is very aware of the concerns of the residents of Plainfield regarding the Plainfield Board of Education’s issues.

So Doc, feel free to check up on me doing my job; reaching out and facilitating progress, clarity and resolve by using the proper entities on the State level within the 22nd Legislative District.

Ps

Someone has mentioned my support of a slate of candidates for the Board of Education. I made this known publicly and privately, that I supported these candidates PERSONALLY, as a Plainfield taxpayer, and that I did not publicly endorse them or have my name used within their campaign. I find it very insulting that when I go out of my way to offer support to a slate as a Plainfield resident, that all at once that slate becomes my ‘team’.

No comments: