Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Straightening Out this Freeholder Fiasco

I have been reading Dan Damon’s blog for the past couple of days, and the reason why I have not responded earlier was the fact I was meeting with local elected officials, community leaders, and county officials dealing with Rayland Van Blake and what is best for Plainfield. , making sure Plainfield has a representative for the Freeholder Board.

I would like to begin by telling those watching as this issue unfolds, that Dan Damon with his misinformation, did more harm to Rayland Van Blake, than anyone else. Three years ago when I supported Rayland for Freeholder, we went before the screening committee of Union County to get the endorsement to run on the Freeholder slate. Some local chairpersons voiced their concerns about him as a councilperson, but I reassured them that he had a lot of potential, and that by giving him a chance, he would gain their support as well as get the job done.

Some chairpersons and Freeholders felt that that was not the case. With that, there was the possibility that he would not receive that same support he did three years ago. I have met with elected officials within the City to bring this concern to their attention, as well as prepare to support another candidate if the City did not support Rayland. I would say 80% of the people I have talked to were more concerned with Plainfield having a candidate on the ballot this year. The only time the issue with Linden came up was when people felt that Plainfield could not come up with a solid candidate. The issue was that any disorganization on the slate could hurt the entire ticket.

So we all agreed on Linda Carter as an alternative. At no time did I or other leaders in the City of Plainfield, not stand up for the City. When the County agreed they could support Linda Carter, we all agreed so.

Unfortunately, the information the blogs have been receiving is not true. I made it clear to Rayland that if he could get a majority vote from the municipal chairs in Union County, then I would have no problem being the swing vote for him.

So today, I am calling all 20 chairs in support of Linda Carter being put on the County Democratic slate for Freeholder this year.

No comments: