Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The green button.

One of my opponents, Bo Vastine, has chosen to engage in the same type of politics of division and distortion that the national Republican party used to divide this country for eight years. The working families of my district know all too well about the tax problems facing New Jersey and the City of Plainfield, in particular. And they know all too well, that these burdens are caused in large part by the disastrous policies of the Bush administration.

My stance on gay rights is a matter of public record – and I stand proudly by that record. I have publicly supported and championed gay rights, while the Republicans criticize and denounce Democrats for supporting the gay community. And I am equally proud that the City of Plainfield has welcomed and supported the gay community and gay rights.

While saying that this is not an important issue, Mr. Vastine is at the same time trying to use this issue to divide our community. He is trying to use our churches as a vehicle to drive a wedge. There isn’t a day that goes by where I do not receive petitions against gay rights and gay marriage. Clearly, Republicans are manipulating the issue.

Rather than trying to distort my record on issues that I have a clear record to stand on, I’d like to know where my Republican opponents stand on the issues that matter most to the men and women of this district. Such as:
  • Where do they stand on towns that block opportunities for more affordable housing for their residents and community?
  • Where do they stand on Abbott funding? The courts have since agreed with the formula we use in New Jersey to educate our children. Yet, their candidate, Chris Christie claims it’s a waste of money.
While we are doing all we can on the state level to promote the gay community and fight for gay rights, we know that President Obama is attempting to deal with the issue on the national level.

Mr. Vastine, my record speaks for itself. In Trenton, when it came to gay rights, I pushed the green button and all of your fellow Republican pushed the red button.

Empty promises are easy to make when you don’t have record to defend. Over the past 20 years, I have a record of real results and solutions that I’ve delivered to for the 22nd Legislative District. And fighting for equal rights for all our residents is one of my proudest.


P.S.-- To everyone who has asked how they can help our campaign, please be aware that not only do we have a phone bank up and running, we are also knocking on doors. No other town is moving as fast as we are in putting this campaign into full operation. The western part of the county will be the headquarters for the county/state campaign.

No comments: