Thursday, July 9, 2009

Transparency Exposed

Over the past few days, I have had very constructive conversations with many concerned residents in Plainfield. The one that impacted me the most was with Maria Pellum. She shared some of her issues, likes, and concerns as they relate to the City of Plainfield. Reading her blog today, I have to agree with the majority of her points. She writes with an understanding of Plainfield politics; the City having a strong Council, one that I have never had a majority of the Council, work with me in terms of dealing with the issues, being that I am the Plainfield Democratic Chairman. Even with this truth, the true municipal power belonging to the Council and Mayor, why is it that I am blamed by a constant group of individuals, for so much as a person stepping on a crack on a sidewalk?

Let us engage then in a brief conversation regarding the political history of Plainfield. There was a time when the New Democrats were in total control of the Council, the Mayor’s office, as well as the City Committee. This New Democratic faction of power chose not to identify faults, problems, or issues in the City, but simply chose to ignore them. For example, under their watch, Plainfield’s murder rate spiked with 15 murders in one year, the City returned grant money that would have benefitted the municipality, and the only new development in the City was the Tepper’s Building, which is a low-income facility.

It is time now that concerned citizens, much like Maria Pellum, get on the horn and speak up for their city, the City of Plainfield. This action calls for responsibility. Therefore, if I as a resident or as Democratic Chairman make a mistake, I will continue in the practice of assuming responsibility and move forward in a direction that would remedy the situation. This is a practice in which every resident should be engaged. Accountability and responsibility are two practices of life that will guarantee success and positive change in our neighborhoods, in our communities. Having arguments or disagreements with political colleagues, across the aisle or even within my party, does not and should not denote irrational assignments of blame in any particular case.

If we practice procuring unity and positive change in our community we will defeat dishonesty and poor leadership, as seen in the two Republican candidates running against Assemblywoman Stender and me for the General Assembly. Already they are blaming me for every problem or issue within the 22nd District. They are rather quick however to forget they had an administration in the White House for eight years who turned its back on New Jersey many times. I encourage you to examine the records of the two Republicans running against Linda Stender and I, for my record is one that any Statesman would be proud of.

Bill Hetfield in one of the blogs also decided to put the blame on me personally. I have tried to work with Mr. Hetfield over the years, responding to his phone calls and concerns. As I have acted responsibly in dealing with his issues as an Assemblyman, I will not sit back and have my reputation destroyed by him or anyone else. Bill Hetfield has lived in Plainfield all of his life, and yet, he sat back and watched as low-income projects were being built in the City, and he said nothing. He watched a halfway house be built right across the street from one of his buildings and again, he said nothing. For his whole life then, Mr. Hetfield has witnessed how Plainfield was being dumped on, and yet when the Republicans were in control, directing most of the damage, he said nothing.

Now, when any type of revitalization plan comes into Plainfield which does not satisfy his liking, I am the first one to be accused of bringing in low-income units. Let me be clear, I am NOT in support of constructing any more low-income housing units; I AM in support of constructing affordable housing and up-scale housing units within the City of Plainfield. I do not want the property values in Plainfield to decrease any more, but rather drive them up. It is now time for Bill and his friends to do their homework and get their stories straight.

If I were involved in Plainfield politics as long as Bill Hetfield has been, being a Plainfield lifer, I would not have allowed these travesties to come to pass. I am surprised he has not moved to Watchung like his buddies who ran to the hills when these low-income housing units were built in Plainfield. I am surprised at how he and his Republican friends made sure that towns like Watchung, five minutes away from Plainfield, do not have these types of housing units in their communities, but yet, they want to thumb their noses at Plainfield. It is obvious that this campaign is going to be filled with negativity brewing from the Republican camp. No matter how negative they go, I will not close my eyes to the Republican Assembly candidates that time and time again vote against anything that would help the City of Plainfield, including educating our children.

So come the first of the year, if the Republicans win in the general election, and take control of the Assembly and Governor’s office, the first thing Hetfield and his buddies will do is run to the hills of Watchung, and take away the $100million Plainfield receives from the State as an Abbott District to educate our children.

No comments: