Wednesday, May 20, 2009

13 Days Until the June Primary

I am hoping my comments today do not make people feel I take things for granted, because in politics, that is not a luxury. I have spent the last two months knocking on doors from one end of my district to the other, because I am concerned about the economic crisis we are facing in the State of New Jersey. This has been a practice of mine executed throughout my entire political career, not just during election season. This is a continual practice of mine for the simple fact that when I make decisions on housing, budget, healthcare, and quality of life issues, I am making my decisions on those thoughts and feelings of the constituents of my district.

I have spent the last 2 weeks in Plainfield, knocking on doors, discussing local and state issues, and periodically, I would run into some New Democrats also knocking on doors, especially in the 2nd ward. I must say that the communication exchanged between them and I was one that made me feel proud to be a Democrat. It was friendly, cordial, and respectful. They were out promoting their slate, while I was out doing the same for mine. It was amazing to experience, first-hand, this new degree of respect between the two slates here in the City of Plainfield. I hope this same maturity and energy encourages the behavior of removing lawn signs to come to an immediate end. I am hoping we can respect one another’s rights for the balance of the campaign.

Personally, I have no interest in being involved with any negative campaigns. It is reassuring to see and hear as I ride around my district, 9 out of 10 people recognizing what I have accomplished, leaving me no reason to be negative. One person said to me, “I am proud of what you have done and are doing for the Borough of Middlesex and our district, and I hope you continue to be successful. You won’t be able to make everyone happy; there will always be a few haters.”

It made me proud to hear that. When I was in the 1st ward of Plainfield, residents thanked me for helping them get the new Emerson School built. In the 3rd ward of Plainfield, residents were happy with my involvement in the building of the new nursing school, where every year 500 nurses graduate. When I am in the downtown area of Plainfield, and people are walking out of the new office building, it is surprising to know how many people realized my involvement with that establishment. When I am on Union County College’s Plainfield campus, I am proud that I am involved with the level of success that it is enjoying today. When I am greeting people getting off the train, it is warming to hear commuters thank me for my efforts in getting funds to upgrade both the Netherwood and Downtown stations.

Every morning, as people are taking their children to preschool, their acknowledgment of my efforts 10 years age in getting Plainfield restored as an Abbott District, has made it possible for millions in State aid to flow into our City. The benefits of this funding are beginning to show with the rise in test scores. The latest project I have been involved in, the opening of the new Senior Center facility, will be dedicated today with a ribbon cutting.

Come June 3rd, my goal is to unite the City just as I did for the Obama campaign, because the President will need a Democratic Governor, as well as a Democratic Senate and Assembly. So far, we have a Democrat-controlled Washington and Trenton, which has shown huge benefits not only for the State, but also for my District.

With that, I will be turning my attention to the Republican Party, as well as their candidate who is running for Mayor in Plainfield, Jim Pivnichny. Although I may have differences with some of the Democratic candidates running this year, no one is so far from dealing with reality than him. Here is a man who is a true Bush Republican that now wants to claim he is an Independent Republican. Now you are either a Democrat or a Republican when it comes to real politics.

The balance of my campaign then will be focused on the Republican candidates on the State and local levels. Recently, the Republicans had a meeting in Trenton and their first initiative was to eliminate Abbott District funding for cities like Plainfield, which would cost the City over $100 million dollars a year.

With having no virtual chance at winning in the General Election, Mr. Pivnichny’s job as the Republican candidate is to divide the Democratic Party. My job as Democratic Chairman of Plainfield is to unite the Democratic Party on behalf of the residents of Plainfield. Therefore, I am not waiting until June 2nd to let the public know that no matter what happens in this primary, I can work with any of the candidates that the public elects as Mayor of Plainfield. That being said, I will not stand by and allow Jim Pivnichny to put out false information, because if I were a Democrat running in Watchung, I would not be able to do that. Wake up Plainfield, that same principle should be applied here Plainfield; for we showed the County and the State that we are good-standing Democrats, with President Obama receiving 93% of our votes, 15,000 in Plainfield with his opponent receiving 1,000 votes. When I see those sorts of numbers, I am going to make sure those numbers do not change, because people on the national and state levels recognize those numbers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job! Awesome post! Like you stated no matter how much good you do there will always be haters! But as an elected official you just have to dust your shoulders. off and keep it moving. Plainfield is fortunate to have representation in Trenton from a senior memeber of the State Legislature.

Our Federal, State and County elected offcials all know how hard Jerry Green works for Plainfield! Under a mapp leadership Plainfield would be a secluded island. I could only imagine how his arrogance and negative persona would negatively impact the City. There's only so much a Mayor can do without help from all the different levels of Gov't. In these tough economic times Plainfield needs to make sure it gets its fair share of funding. This could never happen under Mapps leadership!

Keep up the good work and keep staying positive!