Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thoughts on Mapp's Editorial Opinion

Yesterday Governor Corzine presented the 2010 State Budget. I have some concerns in terms of the cuts and sacrifices that the people of New Jersey will have to make. Now that the Assembly and the Senate have the opportunity to examine the budget thoroughly and make decisions before it is finalized, I am prepared not to comment one way or another.

I was surprised to pick up today’s Courier News and read the Editorial Section referencing the PMUA and its Commissioners. As I said in the past, and will say one more time, I feel I represent Plainfield in the best way possible; my district is very well respected in Trenton, and Leadership in the Assembly and Senate speak highly of accomplishments which are comprised of my efforts to induce productivity and efficiency in State Government. Councilman Mapp was even present this past Sunday evening when the Governor asked me to stand and be recognized by the elected officials from local, county, and State government regarding my accomplishments in Trenton on behalf of my district.

For the record, I have asked legal council if Plainfield could take PMUA over, and I was told it would be a financial burden that would devastate the City because of the destruction of its bond rates due to the debt the PMUA holds. I am currently talking with neighboring towns soliciting a shared service agreement with the PMUA because our entity provides a service they need.

For instance, in speaking with the Mayor and Business Administrator of Fanwood regarding the PMUA, all parties realized that the lack of attention to detail by Mapp and the past administration caused a billing oversight to Fanwood sewage usage. After bringing all parties together, Fanwood paid $500,000 to the City of Plainfield. Unfortunately, this is what happens when individuals spend more time being critical than them trying to resolve crises that are nationwide, statewide, and locally impactful.

This year alone, I was able to bring in $17 million for the school district, $650, 000 for the Plainfield Health Center, and $340,000 for the Plainfield Police Department. I ask Adrian Mapp, what have you done within this period of time for the City of Plainfield?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I applaud u for doing due diligence and finding out exactly what the cost to out city would be should such a course of action be pursued to dismantle the PMUA. I for one applaud them for giving so many a second chance that no other agency in town would do.

Excellent question posed to Adrian Mapp - but of course you know he won't respond - Adrian Mapp does not represent change - he represents a backward slide for PLainfield.