Monday, March 30, 2009

Assembly Nominations / Elected Official Stimulus Forum / Ps

Thanks are in order to the Union County, Somerset County, and Middlesex County’s Regular Democratic Organizations in nominating Linda Stender and I to be candidates for the 22nd Legislative District. When elected, this will be my 10th term. It was very rewarding to hear all of the supportive compliments for the job I have done in Trenton on behalf of the 22nd District. My efforts in dealing with healthcare issues in the State were acknowledged and lauded upon my nomination. This was very encouraging.

Friday evening I had a forum of elected officials in the 22nd District to deal with the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, also known as the Federal Stimulus package. There was a lot of information provided from my staff in Trenton as well as different commissioners from various State departments concerning federal funding and its dispersal breakdown. The speakers on the evening were Dr. Ellen Wolock, NJ Dept. of Education, Dr. Carmen Centuolo, Union County Exec Superintendent, Edward Carman, Chief of Staff to Commissioner Joe Doria, Eric Wong, Congressman Pallone’s office, and Mishael Azam, Assembly Majority Office. I was glad to see the County Superintendent discuss educational dollars. I made it my business to ask if Plainfield’s school district, the only Abbott school district in my Legislative district, lose any funding under the new formula. Her answer was no.

Unfortunately, we have some people in the community who were hoping the new formula would hurt the district, but that is not the case. In fact, the Commissioner of Education said she would be happy to come in and discuss this issue further if needed, because the Stimulus money coming from Washington is designed to filter more funding into school districts like Plainfield. What the new formula does is make school districts more accountability for what they spend and how they spend it.

Ps

For those individuals who have questioned my involvement with Roselle, I pay $25,000 in property taxes a year to the Borough of Roselle, and I feel I have a right to voice my opinion as a lawful taxpayer. Just as Plainfield taxpayers feel they have a right to voice their opinions in Plainfield, I too feel the same regarding my property taxes in Roselle. In fact, when I spoke before Roselle’s mayor and council, I told them I was there as a local taxpayer, not as an elected official. As an elected official, I make sure to do my homework and research issues before I comment on them so that I make accurate statements, yet, there are people like Adrian Mapp and Dan Damon who blatantly lie and produce misinformation. But for some reason to them and their cronies, my defense from their baseless accusations is wrong in their eyes. They just do not have a clue.

One of the bloggers mentioned that I have gone to the Attorney General’s Office, which is a lie. But Dan Damon and Cory Storch went to the Union County Prosecutor’s Office to have me investigated. The investigators found NOTHING wrong with my business and conduct as an elected official. This is exactly why I will not stand back and let any lies circulate. Either a person can produce something that has been done wrong, or I will challenge it, whether it is in court or on the blog.

No comments: