Monday, December 29, 2008

Thoughts on Today

This has truly been one of the most rewarding years of my political career. Last week I was honored when a group from the Obama team invited my wife and I, along with Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs out to dinner, thanking us for the leadership roles we managed in making the Obama campaign as successful as it was here in the City of Plainfield. It was also an honor to have Councilman Rashid Burney, Charles Ike, and the entire group reflect and deduce the hard work, long nights, stress, sweat, and tears that went into the orchestration of such a successful campaign. It was also very touching to reminisce upon the strong commitment the City of Plainfield and our neighboring cities put forth to ensure the success of our efforts. The mayor and I were presented with beautiful plaques from the group.

Personally, the most rewarding aspect of the evening was when I had people who for the first time, really worked with me on a daily basis dealing with the campaign, say to me that the negative picture some have drawn of me is not at all the real Jerry Green. That touched my heart. After watching a 60 Minutes airing with President Elect Barack Obama, I was able to see that whether on a federal, state, or local level, there will be those out there who will do all they can to stop, side track, or derail a positive person, a person pressing for positive change. In listening to Sen. Obama, I then realized that in the end, when the smoke clears and the dust settles, people will recognize the work you have done, and will then judge you by the results.

This current campaign gave me a glance into the distorted thinking some may have when it comes to my duties and responsibilities as Chairman of the Plainfield Democratic Party. Thus, let me clear the air for those: as chairman, I am to solicit all my energies on behalf of my fellow Democrats in getting them elected. My implementation of such duties does not put categorize me as trying to ‘run the city.’ I would like to feel that the same energies I put into helping Sen. Obama get elected, I invest for the local Democrats as well. It is time now for those critical persons to understand that simple fact.

As campaign season rounds into place for me, I look back over the past election, and feel confident with those past results and eager with excitement of the results to come. By winning the City of Plainfield, 70% of the vote, out of 50,000 voters, just under 600 voted against me. Although on an off year, as it was last Legislative election, the voting turnout is lower, I am still proud of the fact that this year, I was appointed Speaker Pro Tempore by the Speaker of the Assembly Joe Roberts, and the members of the New Jersey State General Assembly. This, coupled with the fact that I took a leadership role with the Obama campaign both on the state and local level, is an example of the sorts of achievements I have dreamed of accomplishing, and I was able to do so with YOUR support!

As we move into the New Year, I am looking forward to working with the mayor and council, the board members, and the community to promote and sustain a healthy community. As part of leadership here in the State of New Jersey, we have our work cut out for us, but no more than the 49 other states of the US. There are still a lot of issues that are affecting New Jersey. I will be well prepared to step up to the plate next year and continue to combat the nationwide sweeping crises: economic distress, failed education systems, and shrinking healthcare. As Chairman of Housing and Local Government in the General Assembly, affordable housing issues are of primary concern. This last year, I was able as Chairman to show how Plainfield was treated unfairly in dealing with the reception of low-income housing, while other municipalities in the state were not living up to their end of their responsibilities.

With Plainfield, I have worked with the mayor and other local and state officials to fight crime in our district. Just this year in the City of Plainfield, there were 5 homicides, 5 too many, and when compared to a few years ago, we had 15 homicides. Our efforts are proving that the steps we are taking are ordered along the path of effective leadership and are in the right direction. Since we have been able to bring Plainfield back as an Abbott District, we have received over $1 billion in funding from the government, funding that would have had to come from the pockets of the taxpayers directly. When I was invited to the opening of Emerson School here in the 1st ward, seeing the children being educated in a new atmosphere made me now understand why I truly am in politics.

The best way to say it is that this is my way of giving back to a country, a state, and a city who has given me so many opportunities of advancement as an elected official.

Ps. The State of New Jersey has committed to the City of Plainfield, $17 million to upgrade Woodland and Cook schools. Also, with the strong help of the mayor and council, teamed with the State and the new administration in place, we will be in the position to start to receive federal funding that we have not received in the last 8 years. This would put us in the position to reopen Muhlenberg Hospital, a hospital that should have never been closed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Jerry. The comments you made below says it all and encouraged me this morning.

"Personally, the most rewarding aspect of the evening was when I had people who for the first time, really worked with me on a daily basis dealing with the campaign, say to me that the negative picture some have drawn of me is not at all the real Jerry Green. That touched my heart. After watching a 60 Minutes airing with President Elect Barack Obama, I was able to see that whether on a federal, state, or local level, there will be those out there who will do all they can to stop, side track, or derail a positive person, a person pressing for positive change. In listening to Sen. Obama, I then realized that in the end, when the smoke clears and the dust settles, people will recognize the work you have done, and will then judge you by the results."

Be blessed.