Thursday, December 18, 2008

All Bark and No Bite

This year has been a year that I can reminisce over with deep feelings of pride and accomplishment. On the federal level, we voted in, with astounding numbers, Presidential-Elect Barack Obama, and on a state level, I have brought many solutions to the table and strengthened relationships with my fellow legislators throughout the State.

I do unfortunately; have to live in two political worlds however. The real world, consisting of the residents of New Jersey who recognize that I have stepped up to the plate in dealing with affordable housing issues: where mayors, council members, and other elected officials throughout the State of New Jersey have come out in support. Then there is the second world, the world that those who live in it have misconstrued, distorted views of policy and government. Their, they tend to believe that change happens overnight. However, one does not get elected into the New Jersey State Assembly, and induce change overnight. However, because of my years of experience, and in forming and strengthening relationships with my Democratic and Republican counterparts, I am now able to be effect in getting things done, ushering in solace and achievement.

Fortunately, I do not hold individuals responsible according to their age, albeit young or old. My stance on the issue of age is that of whether they can get the job done. It is obvious that New Jersey feels the same way that I do; for Senator Frank Lautenberg will be 90 years old at the end of his term, and yet we have elected him back into office.

So I then look at the issues of education and health, where just a few months ago, we cut the ribbon to a new elementary school in Plainfield. This was a major feat because this new facility aims to provide our children with the environment that will foster educational growth and achievement with our kids. Everyone in New Jersey recognized the effort we put forth to save Muhlenberg. Where we were unable to keep the acute ward of the hospital open, we were able to garner major concessions from the State and Solaris; concessions that are directed to aid and meet those health needs the City of Plainfield and its surrounding health community solicit.

We are now setting the table so that if the current health crisis that has damaged our community improves, we will be in the position, as a community, to reopen Muhlenberg. Just this past Monday in this year’s final voting session in Trenton, legislation was passed to give the opportunity to hospitals like Muhlenberg, the opportunity to reopen; reopening not only as a nonprofit hospital, but also for profit.

As Speaker Pro tempore of the New Jersey State General Assembly, the 3rd highest ranking office in the General Assembly, I have not only strengthened my relationship with the Speaker of the State Assembly, as well as both sides of the aisle, but also with the Senators of our great State. I also have excellent working relationships with all of the freeholders in Union County, as well as all of the democratic chairs in the three counties wherein I represent.

I say all of that not in a spirit of boasting, but to pacify the spirit of hope for readers of my blog; aiming to prevent from being misled by the misinformation of the usual individuals who readily provide false information to the people here in the City of Plainfield. These select individuals seek to destroy what we as a community have taken years to build; with their negativity, inability to provide solutions, and ignorance in situational resolution, which in the end, serves as a cancerous agent to our Queen City. Yet in the midst of all of this, I am very proud of statewide recognition the City of Plainfield was subjected to in our tireless efforts in the election of Presidential-Elect Barack Obama.

I will CHALLENGE any of those who speak consistent messages of detriment to and of our city, on all of these issues facing this State, as well as this county and city. Taking up this challenge serves to better illuminate THEIR solutions to issues, as opposed to there blow-horn approach to negative criticism. If this is the best that they can do, in terms of being critical of my efforts and accomplishments in this State, by talking about whether they feel it is time for me to more on, I have this minor fact for them: based upon receiving the statistics of last election, 60-70% of the votes within the City of Plainfield voted me into my Legislative seat.

It was humbling to sit with last week, the Governor and Speaker of the Assembly, and talk with them regarding my opinions dealing with the future of New Jersey. I do not think they would have had such a meeting with me if they felt I was doing such a bad job, the opinion of the handful of the usual, no solution, politically inept individuals who make baseless critiques of my accomplishments and efforts.

In closing, it was very disgusting to read recently the DumpSharon blog. This blog shows just how vicious and disrespectful some individuals in this city will go to embarrass anyone who refuses to engage them in their gutter politics. Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs is a wife, and is a passionate woman. That being said, NO woman in this city should be treated with such disrespect. I wonder whether these heartless individuals who have made these comments, have ever made such comments regarding their own mothers. So I hope they have a huge dose of reality, and realize that when you disrespect one woman, you offend and slight the masses. This sort of behavior is one in which this city absolutely, has no room for, and should not tolerate.

No comments: